South Korean actor Kim Soo-hyun broke down in tears at a press conference in Seoul on March 31, 2025, denying claims that he dated the late actress Kim Sae-ron when she was a minor. This emotional moment came after Kim Sae-ron took her own life on February 16, 2025—coincidentally Kim Soo-hyun’s birthday—sparking a firestorm of allegations and public backlash. Her death and the drama that followed have put a spotlight on how South Korea treats its celebrities, especially when they face personal crises. The harsh media glare and online attacks have left many asking: what’s really going on with stars in Korea?
This messy situation has gripped the entertainment world, showing how fast rumors can spread and how brutal the fallout can be. Here’s the full story, pieced together from verified details, showing what happened and what it says about fame in South Korea.
Picture this: a young actress, once a rising star, driven to despair by endless scrutiny. An A-list actor, now fighting to save his reputation. Their story isn’t just gossip—it’s a raw look at the price of fame in a country where celebrities are put on a pedestal, only to be torn down when they stumble.
The Rise and Fall of Kim Sae-ron
Kim Sae-ron was a name to watch in South Korea. She started acting at just nine years old, landing a role in the 2009 film A Brand New Life, which got attention at the Cannes Film Festival. Her career took off with hits like The Man from Nowhere in 2010—South Korea’s biggest movie that year—and A Girl at My Door in 2014, another Cannes favorite. People saw her as a future superstar.
Everything changed in May 2022. Kim Sae-ron crashed her car in Seoul while driving drunk. The accident damaged a transformer, cutting power to nearby shops. She said sorry in public and reportedly paid for the damages, but that wasn’t enough. The media pounced, and online critics wouldn’t let it go. YouTube channels started digging into her life, claiming she faked being broke and wasn’t truly sorry. Her family says this constant attack wrecked her mental health.
On February 16, 2025, she passed away at her home in Seoul’s Seongdong District. Police confirmed it was suicide. That day was Kim Soo-hyun’s birthday, a detail that fueled wild speculation online.
Who Is Kim Soo-hyun, and What’s He Facing?
Kim Soo-hyun, now 37, is a household name in South Korea. He shot to fame with the drama My Love from the Star in 2013, where he played a charming alien. His recent hit, Queen of Tears in 2024, made him one of the country’s highest-paid actors. Movies like The Thieves (2012) and Secretly, Greatly (2013) only added to his star power.
Trouble started brewing last year when Kim Sae-ron posted a photo of them together on Instagram, then deleted it fast. Fans wondered what was up, but nothing solid came out—until her death. Days later, a YouTube channel called HoverLab dropped a bombshell. They claimed Kim Soo-hyun and Kim Sae-ron had a secret six-year relationship starting in 2015, when she was 15 and he was 27. They shared photos, videos, and letters as proof. Kim Soo-hyun says it’s all fake.
Her family backed HoverLab, saying they wanted to clear her name. On March 27, their lawyer showed a letter Kim Sae-ron wrote in 2024, never sent, calling Kim Soo-hyun her “first and last love” and hinting at a long relationship. They say she wrote it after failing to reach him about a huge debt—700 million won (around $520,000)—tied to her drunk-driving case. Her contract with Gold Medalist, Kim Soo-hyun’s agency, had ended in 2022, and they demanded she pay it back. Her family claims this pressure crushed her.
At his March 31 press conference, Kim Soo-hyun admitted they dated, but only from mid-2019 to late 2020, when she was 19 and legally an adult. He denied any underage romance, saying:
“I never dated her when she was a minor. It’s not true that she made a tragic choice because I ignored her or my agency pushed her over a debt.”
He got emotional, apologizing to fans and saying he felt awful that Kim Sae-ron couldn’t rest in peace. He wouldn’t say when they first met, dodging that question entirely.
The Legal Fight Heating Up
This isn’t just a war of words—it’s a legal mess too. The timing matters because South Korea’s age of consent was 13 until 2020, when it became 16. If they dated in 2015, when Kim Sae-ron was 15, it could’ve been legal back then—but it’s still a gray area morally, and people are mad. Kim Soo-hyun insists it started later, when she was 19.
His agency, Gold Medalist, is hitting back hard. They’ve sued Kim Sae-ron’s family and HoverLab for sharing private photos—like one of him kissing her—claiming it’s defamation and a privacy violation. They say she visited his apartment once with his family there, and they weren’t dating then. They’re asking for 12 billion won (about $8.15 million) in damages and have filed criminal complaints, even accusing the YouTube channel of stalking.
The other side isn’t backing down. Kim Sae-ron’s family and HoverLab plan to sue Kim Soo-hyun and Gold Medalist, saying he’s lying about their relationship. It’s a full-on battle, and the truth is still buried in the chaos.
Online Hate and a Broken System
Kim Sae-ron’s story isn’t new in South Korea. After her 2022 crash, the media ran over 2,000 stories about her—many nasty and unproven. Online, people tore her apart, saying she was a liar and a fake. Her family blames this hate for pushing her over the edge.
South Korea’s celebrity culture is brutal. Stars like K-pop singers Sulli and Goo Hara, who died by suicide in 2019, and actor Lee Sun-kyun from Parasite, who took his life in 2023 after drug rumors, faced the same. The public watches every move, and when stars mess up, the attacks are relentless. Defamation lawsuits are tough to win—YouTube’s overseas base makes it hard to enforce, and penalties are usually small, like fines or suspended sentences. Laws to curb online hate have been talked about but never passed.
The Fallout Hits Hard
Kim Soo-hyun’s career is taking a beating. Big brands like Prada and Dinto, a Korean cosmetics company, dropped him fast. 7-Eleven Taiwan canceled a fan event, blaming “schedule changes.” His Disney+ drama Knock-Off got delayed, and the damage keeps piling up.
Meanwhile, people are fed up. An online petition on the National Assembly’s website, started this week, wants the age of consent raised from 16 to 19. It’s got nearly 40,000 signatures already, showing how this case has stirred up bigger questions.
This isn’t just about two actors—it’s about a system that builds stars up and then destroys them. Kim Sae-ron faced a storm she couldn’t escape, and Kim Soo-hyun’s fighting to prove he’s not the villain. South Korea loves its celebrities until it doesn’t, and the online world makes sure every mistake is a life sentence. Will anything change? Only time will tell.
To know the latest developments about Kim Soo-hyun and Kim Sae-ron, keep an eye on VvipTimes, and allow notifications from us to get instant updates on your device.