Elon Musk Calls Derek Chauvin’s Murder Conviction ‘Unjust’ and Demands His Release

Elon Musk - Image Source: Getty

IST

4–6 minutes

Read

Share This Article via:-

Billionaire Elon Musk has sparked a new wave of debate after publicly calling for the release of Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murdering George Floyd. Musk took to his social media platform X (formerly Twitter) on August 19, 2026, to share his strong opinion on the case.

Advertisements

Musk posted that Chauvin was “unjustly convicted of murder” and argued that the facts of the case show Chauvin was not responsible for Floyd’s death. The tech CEO also said Chauvin never intended for a death to occur.

“Derek Chauvin was unjustly convicted of murder, therefore he should be freed. The facts show that he was not the cause of death, nor did he at any time intend for a death to occur. Whatever else he may be, he is not a murderer. That is the truth.”

Musk’s comments arrived just one day after Chauvin’s legal team filed a new motion asking the Minnesota Court of Appeals to pause his current appeal. The defense wants to send the case back to the trial court to argue that the original charges against Chauvin were unlawfully brought.

Chauvin’s Legal Team Files New Petition to Overturn Conviction

Derek Chauvin is currently serving a 22 1/2-year state sentence for second-degree murder along with a 21-year federal sentence for violating George Floyd’s civil rights. His attorneys filed a petition on August 18, 2026, requesting the Minnesota Court of Appeals to dismiss his state murder conviction.

Advertisements

This marks the third time Chauvin has asked to have his charges dismissed. His previous petitions have been denied. In the latest filing, Chauvin’s defense team claims there were multiple violations of his due process rights.

The defense argues that Minnesota Governor Tim Walz unlawfully assigned Attorney General Keith Ellison to prosecute the case. They also claim the Hennepin County District Court failed to convene a grand jury and that prosecutors never secured a proper indictment.

“As a result of these several due process violations, including the failure to present the matter to a grand jury for a probable cause determination or even to convene one, both this Court and the District Court lack jurisdiction over the charges in the Amended Complaint on which he is currently incarcerated, and it must be dismissed immediately.”

Chauvin’s attorneys describe these issues as “structural errors” that cannot be waived. They are asking the court to pause the ongoing appeal so the trial court can review these new procedural claims.

Advertisements

Musk’s Changing Stance on the George Floyd Case

Elon Musk did not always hold this position. In 2020, shortly after George Floyd’s death, Musk posted on X that it was “definitely not right that the other officers were charged with nothing.” He also asked what message that sends to officers who stand by while another does wrong and used the hashtag #JusticeForGeorge.

Since then, Musk has moved toward a more conservative political stance. Last year, he reportedly urged former President Donald Trump to consider pardoning Chauvin. He has also become more vocal in supporting Republican candidates.

Musk’s latest post on Chauvin has received support from several prominent right-wing figures. Activist Jack Posobiec replied saying “it’s time for truth to prevail.” Senator Mike Lee of Utah posted a bullseye emoji in response. Musk also claimed it was “extremely unfair” that the three other officers at the scene received jail sentences.

Advertisements

The Background of George Floyd’s Death and Chauvin’s Trial

George Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man, died on May 25, 2020, in Minneapolis. Derek Chauvin, who is white, knelt on Floyd’s neck for 9 minutes and 29 seconds while Floyd was handcuffed and lying face down on the ground. Floyd repeatedly said he could not breathe. His death caused a fatal lack of oxygen to the brain.

The incident was captured on video by bystanders and quickly spread across the internet. Floyd’s death triggered nationwide protests against police violence and racial injustice.

In April 2021, a jury found Chauvin guilty on three counts related to Floyd’s murder. He was sentenced to 22 1/2 years in state prison. He also pleaded guilty to federal charges for violating Floyd’s civil rights and received a concurrent 21-year federal sentence.

Advertisements

Three other officers at the scene — Thomas Lane, Alexander Kueng, and Tou Thao — received lesser sentences for their roles in Floyd’s restraint.

Advertisements

What Happens Next in Chauvin’s Case

The Minnesota Court of Appeals has not yet issued a ruling on Chauvin’s latest petition. Prosecutors have not filed an immediate response to the defense team’s new motion.

Chauvin’s legal team previously appealed his conviction to the Minnesota Court of Appeals and the state’s top court rejected those petitions. In 2023, the U.S. Supreme Court also declined to review his conviction.

Advertisements

Even if Chauvin’s state conviction is overturned, he would still be serving his 21-year federal sentence. His federal sentence remains in place unless that conviction is also challenged and overturned.

Musk’s public support for Chauvin has added a new layer of attention to the case. His comments have already triggered heated discussions online. Some social media users agree with Musk, while others strongly oppose his views. The debate continues to grow as Chauvin’s legal fight moves forward.

Also Read: Elon Musk Calls Historian Tom Holland a C*ck After Positive Odyssey Review, Internet Confuses Him with Spider-Man Actor

For more entertainment and celebrity news updates, stay connected with VvipTimes for the latest stories and breaking news from around the world.


Tags:

Leave a reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You May Also Like: –