Bruce Campbell Confirms Ash Williams Will Never Return to Evil Dead Franchise

Bruce Campbell Confirms Ash Williams Will Never Return to Evil Dead Franchise

IST

3–5 minutes

Read

Share This Article via:-

Bruce Campbell has officially closed the book on his iconic character Ash Williams from the Evil Dead franchise. The actor and producer made this declaration during an interview with ScreenRant for his new dramedy film Ernie & Emma.

Advertisements

Campbell has played Ash Williams since the original The Evil Dead in 1981. He continued the role in Evil Dead II (1987) and Army of Darkness (1992). He later returned for the Starz television series Ash vs. Evil Dead, which ran for three seasons before being canceled in 2018.

The actor had previously retired from playing Ash in live-action after the show ended. However, fans held onto hope that he might return for an animated series that had been discussed for several years.

Campbell Says “Ash Is Done” in Definitive Statement

During the interview, Campbell offered a clear and final answer about his future with the character. He stated that “Ash is done” and confirmed he will “not [be] going to do any animated voice work” for the character.

Advertisements

This decision marks a complete reversal from his earlier statements. In previous years, Campbell had expressed openness to voicing Ash in an animated project. He had told Entertainment Weekly, “We are developing an animated version, like a series. I’ll do that. I’ll do Ash’s voice all day long, because my voice hasn’t aged as much as I have.”

Now, Campbell has shut down even that possibility. He suggested that if other creators want to bring Ash back, they “can get Joe Ash soundalike” and noted that “there are ways to [recreate my voice] now.”

Actor Steps Away From Franchise Completely

Campbell’s involvement with the Evil Dead franchise has been decreasing over the years. He served as an executive producer on Evil Dead Rise (2023) and provided a vocal cameo that director Lee Cronin described as a time-displaced Ash.

Advertisements

For the upcoming film Evil Dead Burn, which releases in theaters on July 10, 2026, Campbell stepped away entirely. He still received an executive producer credit but chose not to appear in the film. Reports confirm that Ash Williams does not appear in Evil Dead Burn in any form.

Campbell has also confirmed he will not appear in Evil Dead Wrath, a prequel set in 1972 that is scheduled for release on April 7, 2028.

In a separate interview with Detroit Free Press, Campbell explained that the franchise has “moved away” from Ash. He stated that the character is “not part of any big overriding story or scheme” in upcoming projects.

Advertisements

Speaking to Scream Horror Magazine, Campbell made his position even clearer:

“This is a big pivot from what I normally do. I’m not interested in boomsticks and chainsaws anymore. No one has been covered in fake blood more than me.”

He also reflected on his legacy, saying:

“I’ve started so many days face down, on a dirt floor, covered in mud. And I’m like, is this it? This is on my tombstone? ‘The Evil Dead guy?’”

Cancer Diagnosis Influences Career Decisions

In March 2026, Campbell shared that he had been diagnosed with cancer. He described the condition as “treatable” but “not curable.” The actor announced he would reduce his public appearances and work commitments to focus on his health.

Advertisements

Campbell chose to keep the specific type of cancer private, as well as his five-year survival prognosis. His health situation has understandably influenced his decision to step away from physically demanding roles like Ash Williams.

Campbell Focuses on New Directing Projects

While Campbell is leaving Ash Williams behind, he continues working in the entertainment industry. He recently directed Ernie & Emma, his first directorial effort since 2007’s My Name Is Bruce.

Advertisements

The film screened at Detroit’s historic Redford Theatre in June 2026, with more than 1,100 fans attending. Campbell wrote, directed, and stars in the movie, which marks a significant shift from his horror franchise roots.

Advertisements

Evil Dead Franchise Continues Without Ash

The Evil Dead franchise will move forward without its original hero. Evil Dead Burn arrives in theaters on July 10, 2026. The film is directed by Sébastien Vaniček and centers on a new group of characters facing the deadly forces of the Necronomicon.

Evil Dead Wrath, directed by Francis Galluppi, has already wrapped production and is set for an April 7, 2028 release. The film serves as a prequel set in 1972, decades before the events of the original movie.

Campbell remains involved as an executive producer on these projects, but his days of playing Ash Williams are definitively over.

The Evil Dead franchise has proven it can succeed without its original star. Evil Dead Rise earned strong reviews and box office success in 2023, demonstrating that the series can continue with new characters and fresh stories.

Also Read: Dune 3 Moves to Early IMAX Screenings Before Official December Release

Stay connected with VvipTimes for the latest updates on horror franchises, movie releases, and entertainment news from around the world.


Leave a reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You May Also Like: –